
I have reached another crossroads in my unfolding life:
There are several directions I could choose to go
None of them seems more promising than any other
So the choice will be a difficult one to make.
I can continue down the path I am on
A known, well-traveled path that runs through my life
Or I can veer to the more adventurous side
And follow along a more exciting journey.
On the other side, is the easiest path
The ignoble path of least resistance
I can follow that path in a comatose state, never having to think
Of the things and events and people that have made me who I am.
Or, I can reinvent myself, with a newly-written history
And try on a different persona for some length of time
I can choose to elicit sympathy from those I meet along the way,
Exposing my pain and frailties for all to see and comment
And bask in the warmth of their kind and caring words
While, inside me, my demons have a field day.
I can choose to follow the path of honesty and acceptance
Not from others but from myself
Being honest in all my introspective moments
Taking blame for what is mine and letting go of what is not.
Choosing once and for all to put to rest,
The parts of my history that changed who I am
For, who I am is not all that bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment